Wednesday, September 30, 2009

First impressions with my Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro lens





I came home on Tuesday afternoon to find the expected package waiting for me, my new Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM lens! I quickly un-boxed it, attached it to my 40D and went outside to play around. My first subject was a Rose starting to bloom ( pictured ), it was getting dark so the light was a little hard to work with. Yesterday I went out to the local park looking for Dragonflies or Butterflies, which were both easy to find prior to recieving my lens, but had no luck. I did find a Wasp hanging around a hole in a tree and decided he was better than nothing. Here is one of the results, I did not want to get too close and you can probably guess why!
The second flower pictured is a Zinnia from my Mom's garden, a macro paradise!
My pros and cons for this lens so far? Well here go's:

Pros: Light weight. Good build. Lovely image results. Very sharp. Excellent DOF.

Cons:
A bit longer reach would be nice but I can work with it for now. I am very used to Image Stabilizer and miss it here, though it is not really needed at this short of a focal length I guess. And these really are not cons, just personal preferences.

That is it! I find this lens yeilds excellent results, nice image quality and is very sharp. I am new to macro work and am really looking forward to all of the fun that this lens will give me. I love this lens, but I know that as soon as I have the extra cash the Canon 100mm Macro will probably replace this lens in the near future. If you are considering this lens or are simply more curious, I encouarge you to read this review. Anyway, hope you enjoy these shots.

Image Data:

Wasp: 1/500th. | f/4 | ISO 320

Zinnia: 1/125th. | f/2.8 | ISO 400

Rose: 1/125th. | f/2.8 | ISO 500





No comments:

Post a Comment