Monday, January 31, 2011

Trip Report - Connecticut

We arrived back in sunny DFW on Saturday from a 6 day trip in Connecticut where there was never ending snow, or so it seemed! I had planned stops at Hammonasset State Park, Sachuest Point NWR and Bluff Point State Park. On my second day in CT I went to Bluff Point on a pleasure hike with some family and did not take along the camera, I really regreted that! I came across several sparrows, a red-breasted nuthatch, and a bird I was unable to ID on that hike, all within easy photographing distance. I never made it back to Bluff Point. On our third day, the rental car would not start because of a dead battery. All morning was spent on the phone with the rental car company, who were really rude, and all afternoon spent waiting for a new car. Day three was wasted. The next couple of days we were limited to how far we could go due to the huge snowing that was taking place. Finally on our last full day in CT with the temps warmer ( 30's ), we made it out to Sachuest Point, my target location. I had high hopes of seeing and maybe photographing the harlequin ducks, but only caught sight of one male and a few females way off shore. That was very disapointing, where were they? Maybe I was in the wrong spot. There was a large flock of brant fairly close to shore though and I spent most of my time photographing them.

I also photographed this song sparrow along the path.

All in all the trip was not very productive, but fun anyway. I hope that it will not be long before I go back to Sachuest Point, it was a beautiful little location and bet it is great in the summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment