Monday, September 10, 2012

Long Time No Post - Great Egret

1/800 | f/8 | ISO 160

It has been a very long time since my last post here, it seems like Summer is always keeping me away from photography. The Summer months are always busy leaving me little time to go out in search of new or familiar subjects to photograph and whenever I did find myself with a free day or afternoon, the 100 plus degree weather would keep me from wanting to spend any time outdoors. Thankfully the Summer is over, September is here and surprisingly the weather in Texas has already cooled off significantly and an upcoming family vacation to Acadia National Park has me very excited about the Fall season. Here is a image that is not unique or original by far, but it is basically the first decent image I have captured since about June. Since then, I have switched from my Canon 100-400 lens to using a Canon 400 5.6 lens. I am excited to be using this lens which has much better Auto Focus capabilities than my 100-400 (though I already miss having IS) and am looking forward to putting it to the test this fall. Hummingbird migration is in full swing now and I have 2 female Ruby-throats and one male visiting my yard right now, previously I had a male and female Black-chinned as well, but they seem to have moved on. The hummingbirds have been very uncooperative thus far, but I am going to try them again tomorrow morning. 
Wish me luck and I promise that I will try to update this blog more often!

click image to view larger size.

2 comments:

  1. nice portrait Landon. Congrats on the new lens! It also works great with a 1.4x TC which will give you better reach!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting Josh! Yeah, I have noticed that you have great success it seems with a 1.4x TC, I am hoping to purchase one after the sale of my 100-400, which is not selling! Am I correct in saying that with the 400 and 1.4x, you are limited to manual focusing only?

    ReplyDelete